Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ode to Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte

So you know how you hear about something and always wonder what the big deal is??? Well as a creature of Facebook, I have noticed that the latest status update has been things like "woohoo, Spiced Latte" or "OMG!!! Spiced Latte" and "Thank you Starbucks for bringing back Pumpkin Spiced Latte!!". Really??? I always thought, why are you people posting this on your status...ode to Starbucks...ridiculous!!! Well, may I express my deepest sincerest apologies to my Facebook friends, for ever doubting you. I decided, on a whim, to try one of these delectable treats yesterday, and I have to say...they truly are worthy of the reverance that has been invoked....YUMMY!!! I, of course, got the Venti, which in regular speak is the "BIG ASS COFFEE" and it was fabulous. It had the right amount of spice, pumpkin and creamy whipped cream, it was perfect for a chilly day. You don't even have to add sugar or cream...it's the Taj Mahal of coffees!!!
So, much to my surprise, I came upon a recipe this morning and just couldn't believe my eyes....my Facebook and Blogger friends are going to be sooooo excited!!! I found a recipe, courtesy of Mommytopics.com that will blow your socks off.


PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE CUPCAKES




- Betty Crocker Super Moist Spice Cake Mix or similar

- 3 eggs

- 1 and 1/4 cup water

- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil

- 1 cup canned pumpkin

- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

- 1 can evaporated milk

- 1 can sweetened condensed milk

- 4 cups divided, heavy whipping cream strongly infused with coffee

- 2 tbsp cocoa or canned chocolate frosting

- 4 to 6 tbsp sugar

- 1 tsp Vanilla extract

- Cinnamon Sugar mixture for sprinkling


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, or according to box mix instructions


2. Prepare spice cake in mixer according to box directions, adding 1 cup of canned pumpkin and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice

3. Divide batter into oven safe coffee cups filling each one 1/3 of the way with batter, leaving room for the cake to rise, and for lots of the Latte Whipped Cream topping

4. Bake until toothpick comes out clean

5. Mix 1 can evaporated milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and 1 cup heavy whipping cream infused with coffee

6. Once cupcakes are baked and completely cooled, use a fork to puncture the tops of the cake and drench each cake with 2/3 cup tres leche and coffee mixture, store in fridge for several hours to chill and set


7. In mixer combine 2 cups heavy whipping cream strongly infused with coffee (through use of french press), cocoa or chocolate frosting, and 4 to 6 tbsp of sugar to taste. Whip on low/med for two minutes or until light and fluffy

8. Spread Whipped Latte Cream onto the tops of cupcakes, spreading smoothly to appear like a Latte

9. In mixer combine 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream with 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, whip on low/med for two minutes until fluffy

10. Add dollop of Vanilla Whipped Cream to the tops of each Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcake, and sprinkle with Cinnamon and Sugar

*Tip – French presses can be purchased for as low as $8 in the kitchen sections of Ross and Marshalls. Slightly more expensive ones can be found at Albertsons and of course… Starbucks.



How incredible does that look??? I will definitely be making these, however, I may go the traditional cupcake route and add Cool Whip...the easier the better. You should definitely read her post, she has great step by step pictures and shows how she uses her French press to make the whipped cream topping. (Just follow the link above).
It's cold her today and I'm really thinking I'll stay in and snuggle by the fire, but not before updating my Facebook status..."woohoo..Pumpkin Spice Latte, how I love thee"...Have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

  1. You just tried the PSL??????? I've been raving about it for years!!!!!! I know some stuff; you should listen to me more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! That sounds so good! I love pumpkin :)

    I'm having my first linky party on my blog and the theme is pumpkin. I'd like to invite you to come link up your favorite pumpkin recipe. The link is open until Wednesday at midnight, so please stop by and say hi.

    http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/2011/07/pumpkin-blog-hop.html

    ~Cookin' Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete