Monday, April 19, 2010

To Bird's Nest or not to Bird's Nest...that is the question??

Here we go with a new season and time for a new mantel. I have been inspired so much since I started blogging to try and bring out the creativity in myself. I think sometimes women get so busy with doing daily chores and mundane tasks, they forget how to use their minds and body in ways that reflect how creative they are. I truly think God has given us all talents, we just have to take the time to figure out what they are....so anyway, I'm really trying to utilize my ability or so-called talent of being a copycat. That's right..I admit it, I AM A COPYCAT!! So if you are worried about someone using your ideas, you better block me as a follower, because I'm out there and ready to steal all the ideas. Seriously, when I see something that moves me into action, I do try to give it my own spin. But sometimes it's just difficult to improve on perfection. So while stumbling around bloggerland, I came across some beautiful mantels that were decorated in all white. I loved the look and how clean and crisp it seemed. So, I searched around the house and of course had a few white things but definitely not enough to fill the mantel. So off to the local thrift store and guess what I found...REALLY UGLY VASES AND PITCHERS.

YIKES!!! I know, but I only paid $6.00 for all of them....then sprayed them with white primer and then white spray paint....now look at them...

You'll notice that the little brown teapot that I picked up for a dollar isn't in the picture...when I was getting ready to paint it, I noticed the "Made in Occupied Japan" mark and thought, I just can't spray paint this. It probably isn't worth much, but the idea made me shudder...so I will use it somewhere else. I also want you all to know that if I ever had a job as a professional spray painter, I would be standing on the street corner for additional funds...I'm terrible!!! There are streaks and puddles all over these things, but hopefully I can hide them where nobody will notice.
So here is the finished product...


I made this plate with my cricut...it's just a dinner plate I had in the pantry and black vinyl design


Here is the debated bird's nest...she's crazy...it's precious!!


I've had these little iron bugs for quite awhile, I thought they looked sweet on the mantel to tie in the darker pieces.





I really like it; it isn't exactly what I had pictured, but I like all the same.I swapped out my mirror that I normally use above the fireplace with this white one I had in the garage. I added the little brown Occupied Japan teapot in and sprayed another little vase with ORB...it looks horrible up close, but unless someone is standing inspecting the mantel, they shouldn't be able to tell what a screw up it is...Then there is the bird's nest debate; my sister hates the bird's nest on the bud vase, she tells me when she comes over she will "flick it off"...what do you think? Bird's nest or no bird's nest?...I think it adds a little sumpin' sumpin'....plus I saw it on someone else's blog and thought it was adorable.
I look forward to everybody's input...good or bad I would love to hear it. Trust me, nothing anyone can say will compare to my sister and her bird's nest aversion, I say she's cuckoo, cuckoo!!!


Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Loving that plate.....you did a great job painting too. Well done, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love the plate. I so need a cricut! I would love for you to stop by at my Bring in the Spring party and show off your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' your plate and the nest!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing what spray paint can do! I love it! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love it! I don't think I could have sprayed that tea pot either after I saw that. AWESOME how that totally ended up inspiring your theme colors! I think the birds nest is a delight but I'm not the best person to ask because seldom do I meet a birds nest or a bird anything that I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous bird plate! Brilliant idea. Love the birds nest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the little brown teapot marked "Made in Occupied Japan" the idea that you were going to paint it, made me shutter. It is worth alot(more than the $6) and preserving it was a welcomed relief!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to run a mantel party every week so I LOVE looking at mantels! And for my spring mantel I used a bird's nest on top of a bottle and loved the look. Love the look of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your mantel. So simple and clean. I love all the white and the bird plate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful!

    Thanks for joining Get Your craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that bird plate! you mantel turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I just typed out a long message, hit a button I shouldn't have, and it's gone! I'll start over...

    First of all, I love the sweet plate! I think your newly decorated mantle looks great!

    Since I started blogging, the colors black and white, and spray paint, have become my new BFF!

    As far as suggestions for the mantle, here's another option:
    Take the bird's nest and prop it up between the two items on the left side of the mantle. That way people can see the eggs in the nest easily. Remove the bug so there are only 3 items displayed.
    On the right side of the mantle, again remove the bug to display only 3 items but move the black item in between the two white vases.
    I'd leave 4 items in the middle as is.
    Just some different ideas although yours look great as it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful blog! Thank you for joining my hodgepodge party. I love it! I hope you will join again.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh--so much better! I love the plate--thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer,
    Love it! So pretty! Love the bird images you used. Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous Support Group! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, I don't see credit links to the 317,492 bloggers who did this before you... I'm just sayin'. ;) You go with your copy-cattin' self! And I love that I now know how to spell "sumpin', sumpin'". I had no idea! ;) PS, The all-white update is absolutely gorgeous!!! I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love your mantle... even the bird's nest... Maybe you should flick your sister lol... just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete