Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Sister!!!



They say that when you have a sister you always have a friend. As I get older I have started to believe that the old adages are true. You know the one's that they put on greeting cards and hokey pillows and throws. Here are a few.. "A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost"; "Big sisters are the crab grass in the lawn of life" (I don't know if I care for that one); "More than Santa Claus, your sister knows when you've been bad and good"; "Sisters are different flowers from the same garden"... My sister Jacque turns 37 today...she quickly contradicted me last night when I wished her a happy 38th...I will be 40 this year, so my only excuse for the the faux pas is old age. I have always been the typical big sister...bossy, protective and jealous of the baby. When we were kids there was always fighting and arguing going on and it felt like we could never agree on anything. We were completely different...I was a little bit country and she was a little bit rock n roll, if you know what I mean. I was rebellious and always got in trouble, she was sweet and quiet and although she did as much as I did, she never got caught..I like to say she was sneakier...When we were kids I tormented her by telling her she was adopted and she belonged to the maid...She would believe me and cry, but what a goofball...we didn't have a maid...She wore glasses and was skinny and awkward...I was always heavier and terrible in sports; she has dark skin and dark hair, I have blond hair and the palest complexion you've ever seen..I like to say "I'm opaque"...She was always sunny and positive, I was doom and gloom...She has a tongue as sharp as a razor, I am more tactful and worry more about how someone will take what I say...The differences are so numerous I would be here until next week listing them all. However, as many differences as there are, there are twice as many similarities. There is no denying that she is my oldest friend, my confidant, and my alter ego. She has been there through every moment in my life, the good, bad and ugly. She will be the one I will turn to when I'm old and gray and my children hate me because I smother them. As we age and life moves on, she will continue to be the anchor to my past. The one person who has known me her entire life and the person who whether she likes it or not will always be connected to me by the hand of God. As I watch my girls grow up I can see the two of us in them. Sami is strong, to the point and as bossy as Lucy VanPelt. Secilia is willful, funny and has the coordination of a gold medal gymnast. They fight like a pack of dogs and if one says black, the other will say white. But when the dust has settled they love each other unconditionally. The sight of them hugging and holding hands makes my heart leap with joy to know they will always have each other. Hopefully they have the relationship that Jacque and I share. We may not always agree, but when the dust settles we love each other unconditionally. So to the Godmother of my girls, the baker extraordinaire, the fastest drink slinger in the South, the biggest pain in my rear end for 37 years...here's to you!!! I love you and I look forward to seeing you with chin hair, cellulite, jowls, and corny bunion feet at the age of 101....but that would make me 103, so there's a possibility I might miss it....Love you and my favorite corny, mushy sister quote.."Sisters is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship." Happy Birthday!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love you big sis and thank you for the happy birthday wishes. I have never been good with words so just think of something really mushy and sweet that would make you cry and times that by ten and pretend I wrote it. Got something? That's how much I love you.

    ReplyDelete