Monday, February 22, 2010

Time is on my side...yes it is!!

It's been almost a week without Facebook, and it really hasn't been as much of a struggle as I thought it would be...sure it would be nice to know what's going on with some of my friends, but honestly, I think they all probably gave it up for Lent too...right? Ok, that's what I'm telling myself....anyway, I have had a little more time on my hands and along with giving up Facebook, I also have decided I'm going to try and cook healthier meals for the peeps. I am going to share some of my favorite new found recipes with you...as well as the calorie and fat content. I know if your family is like mine, it's hard to pass off healthy food as something wonderful, but my new found cookbook has really helped. I will post some of the ones we have tried and rate them on how good they are...My new found kitchen companion is Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking....356 home style recipes for healthier living.... I purchased mine at Sam's Club, but I have included the link to Barnes and Noble...


HAM AND MUSHROOM FETTUCCINE

12 ounces uncooked fettuccine
3/4 cup fully cooked lean ham, cubed (I used the cubed ham you can get at the grocery near the sausage)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed ( I omitted this, I'm not a big rosemary fan)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/4 fat free evaporated milk ( I used an entire 12 oz. can)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream


1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet
saute ham in oil until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to skillet; saute for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute 3 minutes longer.

2. Stir in flour, rosemary and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add peas and sour cream. Cook 2 minutes longer. Drain fettuccine; stir into mushroom mixture. Add ham; heat through.

Prep time/total time
25 min.
Yield
6 servings

One serving
334 calories
8 g fat
1 g saturated fat
29 mg cholesterol
876 mg sodium
46 carbohydrates
3 g fiber
21 g protein


**** 4 out of 5 stars



I hope you all enjoy this one...My kids loved it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment